Christmas in Taos
There is nothing lke it in the world, this combination of holiday pagentry from Native American, Spanish, Mexican, American cultues intermingled with the imaginations of local artists.
- Yuletide Arts & Crafts Fair -- November
27-29, Sagebrush Inn & Suites, 1508 Paseo del Pueblo Sur, Taos (information: 575-770-1372)
Unique hand-made arts and crafts, made by local artists. From hand-carved santos to traditional tin-work, great holiday gifts abound. Food & drinks, door
prizes, gift wrapping.
- Tax-free shopping at many downtown stores, November 27 - December 11
- Nutcracker Holiday Artist Market - Taos Art
Museum at the Fechin House, December 4 - 13 10am - 4pm
Visitors can browse and purchase high quality affordable handmade gifts by local artists
- Lighting the Christmas Tree and Electric Light Parade on Taos
Plaza - Taos Plaza transforms into a winter wonderland with local entertainment, appearances from Mr. and Mrs. Claus and the Grinch, complementary hot chocolate and cookies, and carolers.
Ledoux - The historic narrow Ledoux Street glows with the light from farolitos, luminarias and bonfires. Galleries, shops, and museums are open, offering holiday food and drink.
- Taos Community
Chorus - Winter Concerts
Join the Taos Community Chorus for their winter concert series, “Mexican Baroque: Exploring Our Past.” Guest conductor Ryan Allais and pianist Claire Detels lead the choir in an exploration of the music of
18th Century composer Ignacio de Jerusalem.
- Bonfires on Bent Street – Saturday,
December 12, 10am-7pm John Dunn Shops, Bent St.
Bonfires to warm you, snacks
in the shops, music and events all day. Reception 4-7pm with farolitos and luminaries, food, music, Santa and more.
Taos Chamber Music Group Presents: A Spanish Holiday
Dec. 12 & 13 at 5 p.m.,
on Ledoux Street
Chamber music for flute, violin, cello and piano by Spanish composers rings in the holiday season with works by Enrique Granados, Joaquin Turina, Gaspar Cassado, Frederico Moreno Torroba and Antonio Rodil.
- Las Posadas – San Francisco de Asis Church in Ranchos de TaSan Francisco de Asis Church in Ranchos de Taos and different churches and parishes as well as private homes. A reenatment of the the Holy family seeing
Beginning December 15-24, Las Posadas Enactment with Luminarias
December 20, 2016, 5PM Mass & Las Posadas with Luminarias at the Las Cordovas Capilla
December 24, 2016, Christmas Eve 11:45 Las Posadas with Luminarias and Midnight Mass
- Las Pastores -- A free musical or "shepards play" is a morality story with abundant music
performed all in Spanish.
- La Noche on Taos Plaza -- Santa will make an appearance; bon fires and Mexican hot cocoa.
- Taos Community Chorus - Messiah
- Christmas Eve Procession at Taos Pueblo -- Nowhere else on Earth can you experience this magical event. A stunning contrast between massive bonfires and the Procession of the Virgin
with rifle salutes from the rooftops of the 1000 year old adobe pueblo buildings. A pageant of beauty, heritage, and awe inspiring imagery.
- Christmas Eve Torchlight Parades - Watch as skiers make
their way down the mountain in the dark with flares as their only means of light. All the area ski resorts – Taos Ski Valley, Angel Fire, Sipapu, Enchanted Forest, and Red River – have torchlight parades and fireworks during the holiday season.
- Taos Pueblo Deer or Matachines Dance - December 25, 2pm, Taos Pueblo plaza
Witness this ancient Native American ceremonial dance honoring the depths of winter, as danced and drummed by
the people of Taos Pueblo
- New Year's Eve On Taos Plaza - The Town of Taos invites residents and visitors to the first-ever New Year's Eve community party. It's family-friendly and alcohol-free
- New Year’s Eve Torchlight Parade & Fireworks – December 31, starts at 6pm
Watch the trails of light as skiers with torches in hand glide down the famous Taos Ski Valley mountain under the
starry skies. Firework displays light the winter sky in celebration of the new year. All the area ski resorts – Angel Fire, Sipapu, Enchanted Forest, and Red River – have torchlight parades and fireworks during the holiday season.